In 1927, English seed merchant Samuel Ryder presented the Ryder Cup to the Professional Golfers Association of Great Britain to place as a prize for an international competition between American and British professional golfers. The Ryder Cup was designed by Mappin & Webb and cost £250. The trophy is made of solid gold and stands 17 inches high, nine inches from handle to handle and weighs four pounds. The golfing figure depicted on the top of the trophy reflects the image of Abe Mitchell, one of the top British golf professionals of the time who Ryder employed as his personal swing coach. The two became firm friends and Mitchell was due to captain the first British team to compete for The Ryder Cup, until he was struck down by appendicitis. Ted Ray took over the responsibility for leading the team. Mitchell returned to compete for Great Britain in 1929, 1931 and 1933.