Imagine Golf Blogs

McIlroy Withdraws From Lucrative Sawgrass Tournament

Rory passes up 5.7million prize to rest ahead of the US Open

Posted May 05, 2011 by Chris White

McIlroy is using the break to prepare for the US Open

Rory McIlroy has announced that he will not be taking part in golf’s must lucrative competition this year, instead choosing to rest ahead of the US Open later this year.

McIlroy, who famously lost the Masters last month after a disastrous final round, will play at this week’s Wells Fargo Championship at Quail Hollow in Charlotte – the tournament he won last year – but will not be present at the £5.7million tournament at Sawgrass.

Is this a sign of burnout or a loss of confidence for the 22-year old from Northern Ireland? Or is it just a break from the game to recuperate?

In an interview with the media at Quail Hollow, McIlroy said, “I said I wouldn’t play more than three in a row this year. I'm playing at Quail Hollow, taking next week off and then playing in Spain, at Wentworth, and the Memorial, with a week off before the US Open.”

McIlroy recently moved above Tiger Woods into sixth in the world rankings and maybe, despite not admitting it, he may be worried about his form. As anyone would be, having had such a soul-destroying final round at Augusta. Rory admits, “It’s just too much golf for me. I can get very lethargic and lazy after three tournaments in a row and I think it’s my best way of preparing for the US Open.”

Maybe this ‘week off’ might give McIlroy the chance to reflect on his game and come back reinvigorated to push for that first major success, which many feel is just around the corner.

Why Join Us?

We combine great social networking and excellent content, all in one place!

  • Interests

    Choose the interests you want to follow
  • Community

    Connect with friends and other sports fans
  • Content

    News, Views, Equipment Reviews, Contests & Deals
Join Now

Are you a golf professional?

Join

Advertisement



Advertisement